Thursday, July 16, 2020

Milk Money Donuts


I am a HUGE donut lover and have had Milk Money on my radar for a while now. Donuts are a simple food, so I always am a bit skeptical whenever it comes to a fancy version of it. My curiosity for the high-end donuts at Milk Money got the best of me, so I went out to their location on R Street to give them a try.

Food -
Milk Money has a small selection of items that you can order. It's not like the traditional donut shop down the street where they have a wide selection of all kinds of donuts. Milk Money makes their small selection of donuts for the day and THAT'S IT! When I visited I had the choice three: their signature, a mango donut, and their C&C (cookies and cream). I went for the signature and a C&C. 

The signature donut is the base donut at Milk Money. It has an interesting texture that is unlike any other donut that I've ever had. It falls somewhere between a traditional fried donut and a cake donut. I'd say that these donuts lean toward the cake donuts more as they are more dense than your typical fried donut. But while the donut is denser, it still is easy to eat and has a pleasing amount of chew to it. The signature is moderately sweet even though you can see the glaze on the top. It tasted very fresh and had almost a citrus feel to it.

The cookies and cream donut was the one I preferred of the two. It also had a mild flavor that was very pleasing. It was a bit more smooth in its overall flavor profile. This donut is also a vegan donut.

Milk Money also has ice-cream and donut holes available for purchase but I didn't get around to those on this visit.

Service/Atmosphere -
R Street is a very nice part of Sacramento's downtown area, and you feel that with Milk Money. The storefront is modern and trendy. You definitely get the feeling that you are somewhere that is a bit more posh when you're here.

Price -
The price reflects the atmosphere of the area. I don't think I've ever had a donut that costs as much as the ones here. The total for my two donuts was seven dollars. I could get a bunch of donuts at the donut shop down the street for the same price. These donuts are, however, premium quality... and you pay for that. 

Special Tips and Recommendations -
Milk Money is open late, but they can sometimes run out of donuts early on popular days. I suggest you come as early as you can to make sure you get the donuts you want! Otherwise you'll only be able to get ice-cream.

Bottom Line - 
Milk Money is a unique establishment that provides a lovingly made product. These donuts may be a bit too pricey or particular for some, but worth a try to see if they're for you!

Letter Grade

B


The Milk Money neon sign.


Daily board displaying the types of donuts available.


The signature donut.

No comments:

Post a Comment