Thursday, February 21, 2019

McDonalds Could Do Better Than These Donut Sticks


Food Review -
On my way to work I decided to grab some breakfast at McDonalds. I love McDonalds (mostly for lunch and dinner), but I was excited to try a new item on the menu - Donut Sticks. I have been eagerly waiting for McDonalds to come out with a sweet breakfast item. They have things like the fruit and yogurt parfait and the McGriddle sandwiches, but neither of those is your traditional breakfast pastry. You can also select the pancakes, but on the go they are pretty hard to eat. So that's why these donut sticks really peaked my interest. And for under $2 for six, it wasn't too expensive to give them a shot.

The donut sticks have an interesting shape to them. They aren't long, but they aren't too girth-y either. It's an odd shape that doesn't really scream 'donut' at you save for the sugary coating of sugar. I found that these donut sticks had an excellent taste but a texture that left me wanting.

Whatever sugar combination they put on the outside of these things is really well done. It's not overly sweet and it makes your taste buds want more. The outside has a delicate flavor that I felt was balanced well. My main qualm with the donut sticks was in the texture. They just aren't donut-like enough for me. I mention in my video that there is just too much chew to it. Donuts should really just melt in your mouth - especially fried donuts like what this is going for. The outside part of the donut stick is a bit too hard and bread-y. I found myself chewing a lot more than I wanted to.

I hear that dipping this in some hot coffee may be the trick to unlocking the potential of this new McDonald's item. I may have to investigate this option in a future visit. As it stands now, I'd say that McDonalds Donut Sticks are a very run-of-the-mill average menu item. They don't grab my attention like they should and they don't leave me craving them at a later time.

It is, however, the only pastry-like item on the McDonalds breakfast menu, so if you've been wanting something a bit different that what you've been getting at McDonalds, then this may be a nice option to add to your quick breakfast on the go!

Letter Grade

C

No comments:

Post a Comment