Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Fast Pizza at the Pizza Press


If you're in a hurry and have a craving for pizza, you can check out The Pizza Press at the DOCO area of Sacramento. These fast fired pizzas have been very popular in recent years and The Pizza Press is another addition to these restaurants popping up everywhere you look. I guess their claim to fame is that one of their famous locations is right next to the Disneyland resort area. Big whoop.

Food -
I love pizza, and the fast fired variety is nice to have... on occasion. These pizzas are usually smaller and lighter tasting than a regular pizza. The crust is usually pretty thin and crispy due to the method by which these pizzas are cooked. It's certainly its own genre of pizza that is out there for the world to enjoy. I, for one, prefer a standard pizza than one of these, but I certainly will not complain if I'm in the mood for pizza and I want one as fast as possible.

Like all the other restaurants like this, you get to select whatever ingredients you want on your pizza or you can choose a menu item with toppings already suggested. I always go with the choose-your-own variety as I like to craft the pizza myself. I'm not sure if it was just the worker who was making my pizza this day, but she put A LOT of cheese on my pizza. I'd say the cheese to crust ratio was 1:1! It was a bit much for me as these places tend to skimp a bit on the cheese.

Overall, I'd say the toppings offered at The Pizza Press are of a slightly higher quality than places like Blaze or Mod Pizza. The meat selection especially looked more authentic. I'm usually not very impressed with the sausage and pepperoni they have at fast fired places, but the selection here looked fairly appetizing.

The most surprising thing about the pizza here is actually the crust. I found the crust to be quite a bit softer than I thought it would be. There was some chew to it that made it a little hardier and filling.

There isn't much else other than the pizza to eat. You can order breadsticks, a salad, or some sweet treat offerings, but if you're coming to The Pizza Press, you're coming for the pizzas!

Service/Atmosphere - 
I found the servers during my visit to The Pizza Press to be friendly enough. Since this restaurant is basically a Chipotle for pizza, you don't really interact with the workers too much other than the initial pizza order and paying for the food down the line at the register.

As for the atmosphere, the restaurant is well furnished and fun to eat at. There are both booths and long tables to choose from, and the dining room area is quite large. The decor around The Pizza Press is all newspaper themed so you see lots of black and white pictures as well as even an old typewriter on display.

Price -
Fast fired pizzas are known to be less expensive than their pizza brethren. You'll be spending about ten bucks for a pizza. I'd say that The Pizza Press' prices are slightly above other fast fired restaurants. Is it worth the little extra? I suppose so... but only for the nice vibe and slightly better ingredients.

Special Tips and Recommendations -
Since this restaurant is at the DOCO, make sure you park in the retail only parking lots and get a validation for your ticket.

When ordering pizza, don't be afraid to ask the workers to make whatever pizza you like. I often have half the pizza red sauce and the other half white sauce. There are all sorts of combinations you can put together in different portions of the pizza - so get creative and get exactly the tastes you want to get!

My rule of thumb is always to be moderate when making a pizza. Piling everything you can on top will not necessarily make the pizza better.

Bottom Line - 
The Pizza Press is a nice pizza option if you're at the DOCO for some shopping or to visit the Golden One Center. If you're really craving pizza, this is really the only spot to be at for a reasonable price. The ingredients are of good quality and the choice to put whatever you want on it is always nice!

Letter Grade

B-


I always go for a pretty traditional style of pizza.


Each pizza is made right in front of you.


This typewriter really goes with the newspaper theme of the restaurant.


You can finish off the pizza creation with a drizzle of sauce.


Fast fired pizzas tend to have pretty thin crusts - these were surprisingly softer though.


Nostalgic vibes are all around this restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment