Monday, February 18, 2019

Fire Wings are FIRE!


Fire Wings locations can be found all across the Sacramento area, and they stretch all the way to San Mateo too! This local buffalo wing chain gives places like Buffalo Wild Wings and Wing Stop a run for its money. Their wings have unique flavors with a huge amount of options for sides. Fire Wings is a chicken wing lovers dream come true!

Food -
Fire Wings is all about the wings, of course. And yes, they are the star of the show there. The menu at Fire Wings has an impressive line-up of traditional wing flavors and non-traditional flavors. You can get your standard buffalo wing, but also mango habanero, BBQ, lemon pepper, and Louisiana rub, but there are also unique choices like Malaysian curry rub, dragon flavor, Korean kick, and even a peanut butter wing. And that's not even the half of it; there are many more flavors. It can be a daunting task to select off the menu the first time you come.

I would say you really have to find the flavors you like in order to enjoy your experience. Having gone many, many times I have discovered the sauces and rubs that are my standard orders. For me, I like mango habanero, BBQ, Louisiana rub, and lemon pepper. The Malaysian curry is nice as well, but it's not something I usually pick up. Both the sauced and dry rub wings are great. They are cooked very well and the chicken isn't too fatty (like at Wing Stop).

Other people may have a different opinion, but my least favorite flavors are the standard buffalo flavor and the dragon flavor. Sadly, the buffalo flavor doesn't have the buffalo taste you know and expect. I really can't place my finger on it - but it is definitely 'off'. I've tried to order it many times, but always ended up disappointed. As for dragon... it has too much of a fish sauce flavor profile to it. I guess if you like fish sauce, it might be right up your alley, but for me I just couldn't vibe with it.

I always make sure to order bone in (and often get flats only for $1.50 more). I am not a fan of the boneless wings here. They are too dry for me on the inside and are too big. I know it's weird to say that food is too big, but the size of them is not ideal for boneless wings. I got them a few times to give them a shot but ended up just forcing myself to eat them to finish.

As for sides, they have a ton! You can select regular or seasoned fries, or for an upcharge get a ton of different things. They have jalepeno poppers, cheese sticks, garlic noodles, and rice. You can also go with veggie sticks, but I'd select a hot food item over those and add them later as they aren't too pricey. Better to order them separate than get them over a more expensive side item. All the sides are decent, but not great. In particular I think the fries could be A LOT better. To me they are just an item to fill you up rather than enjoy.

Coming soon will be chicken sandwiches to the menu. That looks to be a pretty nice add to the menu. As of this review my local Fire Wings did not have it live yet.

Service/Atmosphere - 
The atmosphere at all the Fire Wings locations I've been to have been modern and well furnished. It definitely has a new feel to it rather than some of the older established restaurants of the same type. There is usually a large community style to sit at running down the middle of the restaurant with tables around the rest of the restaurant. Sports are usually playing on the variety of screens that are all around the dining area. It's fun and festive.

I've had very good service every time I've been to a Fire Wings location. Recently, I've been ordering online so that once I get to the restaurant I can just pick up my food. Chicken wings can take a while to cook, so if you know what you want, ordering ahead is a smart idea!

Price -
Buffalo wings have never been a very cheap type of food to dine on. I like getting 10 wing combos, which is over ten bucks - but you get a side and a drink with it. If you're looking to save money, they have select days where you can get their boneless wings at 60 cents per piece.

I'd say the pricing here is in-line with what you would have to pay at the other chain buffalo wing places. If you're looking to get full, you will probably have to pay a bit more as chicken wings usually don't fill you up unless you eat a bunch of them!

Special Tips and Recommendations -
I recommend trying the peanut butter wings. I know it sounds totally weird, but the flavor profile of the wing is like satay. If you know what that is, it's a pretty traditional Asian flavor that works very well with meat. These wings do not taste like Skippy. So don't be afraid of them - you might actually really enjoy this unique item on the menu! And like I mentioned already, order online! It makes things a whole lot easier.

Bottom Line - 
I really like Fire Wings. It does have items that could be better (namely the sides), but they punch hard where it counts - the chicken wings. They serve up well-cooked, flavorful wings that will make your taste buds happy once you find the styles you like!

Letter Grade

B


The menu is broken up into three sections - classic, dry rub, and fusion.


Ten sauced up wings - BBQ (left)/Mango Habanero (right)


Plain fries and a drink.


Their garlic noodles are very garlicy.


You can spot the dry rub.


Dine in or eat out. Up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment