Thursday, July 23, 2020

Krispy Krunchy Chicken Found inside BurgerIM!


I was walking around downtown Davis when I spotted signs that said Krispy Krunchy Chicken. I'd seen this brand before, but had never come across a restaurant location. Krispy Krunchy Chicken is actually located inside of BurgerIM in Davis. I believe Woodland also has one situated inside of a gas station. At first I thought that Krispy Krunchy Chicken had taken over BurgerIM's spot, but no... both are in full operation.

Food -
Krispy Krunchy Chicken serves up cajun style fried chicken. It's very much similar to that of Popeye's. They also have fried shrimp that you can order if you like. On my visit, I went for the cajun tenders. The four piece meal was nicely portioned as the tenders themselves were quite large. Most places have lots of breading on a thin strip of chicken. These were good cuts of chicken with just the right amount of breading.

The fried chicken pieces that I saw on display also looked perfectly fried. I would have actually ordered the chicken, but sadly they only had a few select pieces of chicken available at my time of ordering. It was right at noon when I went, so it was a bit odd not to have a fully stocked case.

The tenders were good, but there was a slight hint of oil taste to them that put me off just a little. Dipping it in the original sauce that came with the meal helped, but I definitely wasn't a fan of that oily aftertaste.

The best thing in my order was actually the biscuit that came with the meal. It was very flaky with a texture that broke apart as you ate it. The top was glazed over with a sweet butter sauce that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Service/Atmosphere -
The restaurant was in a bit of a messy state due to COVID - which is understandable, but the BurgerIM ordering screens were off. They had to tape some paper menus up for people to select items from BurgerIM. I thought this was a bit rag tag and could have been better. The cashiers were extremely friendly and I appreciated their warmth.

Price -
The prices at Krispy Krunchy Chicken are on par with those of KFC and Popeyes. My meal (without drink) was about seven dollars. That may seem a little high, but the 4 pieces of chicken tenders I got were pretty large and filled me up very well. 

Special Tips and Recommendations -
I suggest ordering a few of their biscuits when going to Krispy Krunchy Chicken. They are very different than any other biscuits that I've had and they have a blueberry version available!

Bottom Line - 
Krispy Krunchy Chicken is hit or miss when it comes to their overall performance as a restaurant. I'd like to like it more, but they have some missteps to clean up first.

Letter Grade

C


I highly recommend these delicious biscuits.


Look at those meaty chicken tenders!

No comments:

Post a Comment