Saturday, September 26, 2020

Grub Thai is Worth a Visit!


I wasn't planning on visiting Grub Thai today, but I was out in midtown and was looking for a lunch spot. Grub Thai had many positive reviews and I was in the mood for Thai so I decided to check it out. I'M SO GLAD I DID! Grub Thai is a gem of a restaurant and if you blink, you'd definitely miss it. I actually drove past it a couple times before figuring out where it was. Though it may be easy to overlook, don't do it. Grub Thai is worth your time!

Food -
You'll find all your favorite Thai dishes here, but when I went I had to go for the pad thai and crispy tofu. These are the dishes I use to measure how good a Thai restaurant is. I was pleased to find out that both dishes were excellently made.

The crispy tofu dish was presented gorgeously. I'm usually fine with restaurants just tossing the tofu sloppily onto a plate. It's not big deal as long as the food is good... but here at Grub Thai the food was carefully and thoughtfully presented in an appetizing way. And it tasted as good as it looked! The tofu was crispy and had some bit to it. The real deal sealer was the green leaves on top. They were fried perfectly and gave the dish a fun textural element.

The pad thai impressed me by its subtlety. I've had many pad thais where the flavor was just too strong. That's not the case here. I felt the pad thai was balanced well without any flavor being too overpowering. I really dislike it when cooks use too much fish sauce in pad thai. It just ruins it. Well, that doesn't happen here. If the pad thai is an indication, the rest of the dishes here should have the same deft of hand in how its prepared.

Service/Atmosphere -
During the COVID pandemic, Grub Thai has outdoor seating on the sidewalk. Thankfully, the sidewalk area is quite large and has enough room for a few tables. To keep things hands free, you can scan the menu on your phone to look at the menu - so smart! The waitress that served me was very polite and friendly. Definitely a well run restaurant!

Price -
Pricing at Grub Thai is moderate. It's certainly not the cheapest place to eat, but it's on par with any other Thai restaurant. I do feel that the portions at Grub Thai are well sized so that you are full by the end of the meal.

Special Tips and Recommendations -
Be sure to check in on Yelp as they offer a 20% off deal on your first visit. That's a nice deal!

Bottom Line - 
Grub Thai is a wonderful Thai food restaurant that is well worth a visit. It can be a little hard to find and easy to overlook, but don't pass this excellent restaurant up!

Letter Grade

A


Up close and personal with the pad thai.

No comments:

Post a Comment