Monday, February 11, 2019

Mendocino Farms is Sac's Trendiest Sandwich Place


Sacramento is not the city that comes to mind when you think of trendy restaurants. There are a lot of stellar places in Sacramento, but very few have that 'wow' factor when you come in. Well, Mendocino Farms has it in spades. This sandwich market, as they call it, serves up amazing takes on sandwiches and salads in an environment you'd expect to find in a city like LA, SF, or SD.

Food -
When you enter the restaurant you are greeted by a server and a large menu. The menu is full of sandwich and salad selections. So many, in fact, that it is hard to make a quick decision as there are so many items that look amazing. I asked the server what she recommended and she said that the "Not So Fried" Mary's Chicken was a popular sandwich to get. I was just about to go for it when I spotted the Mendo's Original Pork Belly Banh Mi. Having to choose between pork belly and chicken is a no brainer for me so I went with the Banh Mi. My wife Jenn went for the chef's special avocado toast and split pea soup.

Heading to the register we had the option of getting some cold side dishes. Rather than having to guess what would be the best item, you are actually able to sample any sides you like before making a decision to select one. I thought this was so cool. I gave the spicy potato salad a try as well as the pesto pasta shells. Both tasted great but the spicy potato salad was calling my name. Good thing I had the chance to sample as there was a really good chance I would have chosen the pesto over it.

While waiting for our food to arrive I went over to the soda fountain. I was impressed to find that the sodas on tap were all natural craft sodas! Each looked worthy to try but the cream soda jumped out at me as it boasted bourbon and vanilla flavor. And when I had a sip, I knew it was the right choice for me.

After a short wait our food was delivered to our table. The quality of the items was apparent when they put the plates down. My wife's avocado toast wasn't the little slice of bread that they serve at many cafes for a ridiculous amount of money. This one was topped to the brim with fresh ingredients. After eating just half of her sandwich she felt like she was getting full.

I had the same feeling with the Banh Mi. The flavors were on-point and totally filled me up. I wasn't as hungry coming into the restaurant so that was why it filled me up quickly, but it was a very, very good sandwich.

The sides were equally great! I already sampled the potato salad so I knew it was good, but my wife's split pea soup was one of the best I have ever had. It was creamy and had the perfect smokey flavor that this classic dish should have. I was impressed.

We actually ended up taking a menu home because we wanted to study it for the next time we go. It is a seasonal menu so it could possibly change. We'd better go back quick to give the winter dishes a try before they are gone!

Service/Atmosphere - 
I found the service at Mendocino Farms to be excellent. Our servers greeted us with a nice smile and were helpful in recommending items for us to try. When I went to try some of the sides for a sample, the server there was very willing to let me try whatever it was that I wanted. I felt that the staff have been well trained to make sure that the customers have a good experience.

As for the atmosphere, this is where Mendocino Farms skyrockets away from other Sacramento restaurants. The dining area is very trendy with modern touches all over. The decor is all white and premium woods with magazine worthy furnishings. There is even this crazy 'grass' seating area where the seat and seat backing is grass. It's like a huge wall of grass! I can't explain it in words. You just have to go and see it to really know what I'm talking about!

For kids, there's a kids corner where they have their own little chairs and things to do.

You want some nice Instagram pics? This is the place to get them!

Price -
Sorry, there's no five dollar foot longs here. Just about every sandwich is around the ten to eleven dollar mark. And same goes for the salads. Mendocino Farms is a premium restaurant so the prices don't surprise me. Keep in mind that the prices are for sandwiches only and you'll need to buy sides, chips, and drinks separately. You can, however, get a blue plate special which is a half sandwich with seasonal soup or deli side for about the same as a full sandwich.

I went a little crazy today at Mendocino Farms and got two sandwiches, two sides, a drink, and a bag of chips for a total of about thirty six bucks. I'm sure you won't spend that much, but that's how much it was for our order.

Special Tips and Recommendations -
When coming here, make sure that you pay for parking! The parking spaces in front don't have meters, you have to know to go over to the machine and pay that way. You'll also need to know your license plate number as it will ask you for it. It's a little bit of a pain, but I guess its not that bad. But I can see people in a hurry or who don't pay close attention may forget to pay and get ticketed.

Bottom Line - 
Mendocino Farms is right at the top when it comes to getting an amazing modern eating experience in Sacramento. The menu items are fresh and well-thought out. If you want a premium sandwich and don't mind the higher price, Mendocino Farms is a must-go!

Letter Grade

A


My Bahn Mi up-close and personal.


A side of spicy potato salad.


Avocado toast with a side of split pea soup.


Bourbon and vanilla flavored cream soda.


Dill pickle flavored potato chips.


Mendocino Farms' way of doing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment