Friday, July 10, 2020

Saigon Corner in Natomas


I was still in the mood for a sandwich today so I looked up some places that I hadn't been before. Saigon Corner came up as a place to get banh mi sandwiches. A banh mi is a Vietnamese sandwich that comes on a french roll. There are many varieties to select from, but I really enjoy the grilled pork version. Vietnamese grilled pork is a favorite of mine.

Food -
Saigon Corner isn't just a sandwich shop. They also serve traditional Vietnamese dishes like pho and rice plates. I took my family here and while I ordered the banh mi, they went for some of the other items. There was plenty of seating room in the dining area, but because of the COVID-19 pandemic, we got our food to go.

Everything was packed up very nicely. The pho, which was the hardest item to have to-go, came in a nice wrapped up container for the soup with all the meat and veggies in their own container. It just needed to be combined when eaten. The rice plate that we ordered came self contained with a healthy portion of meat along with some veggies and sauce.

The banh mi was excellent. The french roll was nice and crunchy on the outside with a soft interior. It combined the fresh taste of the vegetables inside with the savory taste of the grilled pork. The hot pepper inside it added a strong heat that I enjoyed feeling. For those who don't want it to be too spicy, the pepper is easily removed. There is no taste like a banh mi sandwich, so if you've never had it before, it's worth a try! Because it can be such a foreign taste, it may not be for everyone. This is not a roast beef or turkey sandwich. It's a whole 'nother animal!

In the greater world of banh mis, I'd say that the ones here at Saigon Corner are top notch. They are not fancy or pretentious. Some places try to put their own spin on the banh me and end up complicating it too much. The banh mis here are your tradition Vietnamese sandwiches done exactly right!

To wash it all down I ordered a boba tea drink. Yes! They have boba tea here! I ordered my favorite flavor, taro, and thought it was an above average version of the drink. It had a milky sweet quality that I liked a lot. I'd say that the sweetness level here is just above average, so if you like your drinks less sweet, you may want to tell them that when you order.

Service/Atmosphere - 
Saigon Corner is quite large and has a lot of space inside. There is actually a little section in the restaurant for a tiny Asian grocery store. You can buy rice, Asian treats, noodles, and many other items. My mom actually stopped and purchased a few things for herself. I found the service to be very friendly and patient as we navigated the menu. 

Price -
The prices at Saigon Corner are moderate and a good value for what you pay. The banh mis were around six and seven dollars with the rice plates and pho around ten. I'd say it's the average price you'd expect to pay for Vietnamese food in the area, and it won't break the bank.

Special Tips and Recommendations -
Don't sleep on the desserts that you can buy right next to the cash register. I picked up a green jelly dessert and thoroughly enjoyed it. It had a sweet bean/coconut taste that reminded me of Asian desserts I had as a kid. 

Bottom Line - 
Saigon Corner is a great choice for Vietnamese food. Whether you feel like a sandwich or a rice plate, this place has you covered! The price is right and the portions won't leave you hungry. I'm a fan of Saigon Corner and I'll be paying more visits to this place in the near future!

Letter Grade

A


They have taro milk tea and other boba drinks!


The inside of a banh mi.


Vermicelli noodles and grilled pork.


Dessert with a mildly sweet taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment